Monday, September 27, 2010

Contrast Hamlet and Horatio.I need some examples as well. I can't find anything other than their involvement in the Claudius vs Hamlet situation??

Since you indicate that you are only interested in
contrasting Hamlet and Horatio, then I will assume that you are looking for ways in
which they are different, or moments when they come into conflict with each
other.


The first moment in which there is contrast between
them, is when Hamlet insists, in Act I, scene iv, upon following the Ghost wherever it
might lead.  Their (abridged) exchange goes like
this:


readability="26">

Hamlet


It
will not speak.  Then I will follow
it.


Horatio


Do
not, my
lord.


Hamlet


Why,
what should be the fear?


. . .I'll follow
it.


Horatio


What
if it tempt you toward the flood, my lord,


Or to the
dreadful summit of the cliff. . .


And draw you into
madness?. .
.


Hamlet


Go
on, I'll follow thee. . . Hold off your
hands.


Horatio


Be
rul'd; you shall not
go.


Hamlet


By
heaven, I'll make a ghost of him that lets me.


I say away
-- Go on.  I'll follow
thee.



In this scene, the two
characters can be contrasted by the rash, headstrong, and reckless way that Hamlet is
determined to follow the Ghost versus Horatio's cautious, more logical and somewhat
fearful warnings.


The other moment in which there is
obvious contrast between them is in Act V, scene ii, when Hamlet has received the
challenge from Laertes and determines to accept the wager.  Again, an abridgement of
their conversation:


readability="13">

Horatio


You
will lose, my
lord.


Hamlet


I
do not think so. . . Thou wouldst not think how ill all's here about my heart; but it is
no
matter.


Horatio


Nay,
good my lord. . . .If your mind dislike anything, obey it. I will forestall their repair
hither and say you are not
fit.


Hamlet


Not
a whit.  We defy augury. . .Let
be.



In this scene, Hamlet
senses some danger or potential treachery, but chooses to ignore it, or go forward, even
as he is aware of it.  Horatio, on the other hand, would have him play it safe and avoid
the potential danger, again operating from a more logical, reasonable and "safe"
perspective than Hamlet.


For more on how to create an essay
in which you compare and contrast characters, please follow the "how to write" link
below.  There is also a link to an essay comparing Hamlet and Horatio, for more on this
topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...