Friday, March 22, 2013

List 4 elements found in Islamic architecture style.http://www.islamic-architecture.info/A-HIST.htm

There is some variability in Islamic architecture, over
time and country to country because there is heterogeneity even within a culture.  I am
going to give you four elements that I see, and I have provided a link with some great
photographs that might help you identify even more.


The
element I want to discuss first is the decorative element of Islamic architecture
because this element reflects a religious principle of the religion.  The beauty of
decoration in this architecture is in the repetition of intricate geometric elements
because there must be no decoration or statuary that depicts Allah or Mohammad or any
other religious figure.  While churches might have statues of various religious figures
and geometric decorations, this is forbidden in Islam.


The
second element is the use of the dome, also common in Jewish and Eastern Orthodox
buildings, which, of course, have their roots in the
East.


A third element is the wide open space within the
mosque, a space needed for worship.  In Western religions, people are mostly seated on
chairs as they worship, but in Islam, one kneels, so there is a need for this open and
bare space. This contributes greatly to the beauty of the
mosque.


Columns and arches also figure prominently in
Islamic architecture.  I would guess that these predate the columns of Rome and Greece,
but I do not know whether the idea was borrowed from the Arab world.  I am going to have
to do some of my own research to find out.


Islamic
architecture is beautiful and awe-inspiring, two features that make it perfect to
consider God, by no matter what name we call a deity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...