Monday, December 6, 2010

Would you consider "Theme for English B" by Langston Hughes a bildungsroman?

A bildungsroman is a novel that concentrates on the
development or education of a central character.  Since "Theme for English B" is a poem,
not a novel, it would not be considered a
bildungsroman.


Still, the poem is similar in some ways to a
bildungsroman because it traces the education and personal development of its
narrator.


  The poem tells us that the narrator was born in
Winston-Salem, where he also "went to school."  He also attended school in Durham, and
is now a student in the "college on the hill above Harlem" (probably a reference to
Columbia University in New York City).   


The narrator is
the only "colored" (African-American) student in his class, and he lives in a branch of
the YMCA, hardly a luxurious lodging.   The Harlem neighborhood seems to have a great
effect on the narrator:


readability="11">

But I guess I'm what
I feel and see
and hear, Harlem, I hear you:
hear you, hear me--we two--you, me, talk on this
page.



Although he realizes
that what he writes "will not be white," the narrator also sees himself as having much
in common with all Americans, regardless of race:


readability="6">

You are white--
yet a part of me, as I
am a part of you.
That's
American.



In summary, this
poem is similar to a bildungsroman in that it traces a character's
education and primary influences.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...