Saturday, August 20, 2011

Who are the other people?

I do not think that the other people are anyone in
specific.  They are simply stand-ins for all the people who have existed in the history
of the world.


I do think it is important, though, that the
one person who is identified individually is a preacher.  I think that is because Hardy
is trying to tell us that the ideas of Christianity sure have not done much good in the
world.


But, in general, the other skeletons are no one in
particular.  All of humanity is at fault for the mistakes that the speaker (and God) is
talking about.  So there is no reason to single out any particular people to speak in
the poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...