Sunday, August 21, 2011

In what ways is Sir Philip Sidney a "Petrarchan" poet? Please use the following poems from Astrophil and Stella as examples: I, II, XV, XXVII,...

Since your question about Sir Philip Sidney's
Astrophil and Stella sonnets as Petrarchan poems is highly
specific, I will try to address, in the limited space available, some of the issues you
raise by discussing some of the poems you
mention.


  • Rhyme
    scheme:
    Petrarch’s sonnets are divided into units of eight lines (the
    octave) and six lines (the sestet).  The octave rhymes as follows: abbaabba.  The sestet
    can rhyme in various ways, such as cdecde. Sidney follows the Petrarchan rhyme scheme in
    the octave, but his sestets tend to end with couplets. Sonnet II is an
    example.

  • Themes and content:
    like the sonnets in Petrarch’s Rime sparse, Sidney’s poems deal
    with a self-pitying male who is obsessed with winning the affection of a woman who seems
    uninterested in reciprocating his desires (see sonnet XLV, for
    example).

  • Traits that made Sidney’s poems
    distinctive:
    certainly humor is one of the traits that make Astrophil a
    distinctive sonnet lover; Sidney often has much fun mocking Astrophil’s obsessiveness,
    as in the following lines from sonnet I, in which Astrophil describes his frustration at
    his inability to express exactly what he feels about
    Stella:

readability="16">

Thus great with child to speak, and helpless in
my throes,


Biting my trewand [that is, truant] pen, beating
myself for spite,


“Fool,” said my Muse to me, “Look in thy
heart and write.”
(12-14)



  • Petrarchan
    conceits:
    “new-born sighs” (XV.8); seeming “most alone in greatest
    company” – a typical Petrarchan paradox (XXVII.2); the idea of love as “disease” (with a
    pun on “dis-ease”; XXXIV.5); Stella’s “heavenly face” as the source of “beams” of light
    (XLV.14); etc.

  • The process of
    self-fashioning:
    the way Sidney presents a version of himself by
    describing Astrophil in XLI:

readability="14">

Having this day my horse, my hand, my
lance


Guided so well that I obtained the
prize,


Both by the judgment of the English
eyes


And of some sent from that sweet enemy France . . .
(1-4)



In general, by mocking
Astrophil, Sidney presents himself implicitly as a man more serious, more virtuous, more
responsible, more intelligent, and more mature than his fictional alter ego. He also
shows that he has a splendid sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...