Saturday, January 15, 2011

Does Claudius' murder relate to the murder of Abel in the bible?I know they do I just need a little bit more guidance. Explain why. Give examples...

In the biblical story, Cain and Abel are the sons of Adam
and Eve, and Cain kills Abel because he is jealous of him -- he seems more favored by
God.  This is usually considered the first murder and this is where the connection is
made.  Just as Cain killed his brother Abel for shallow and selfish reasons, so does
Claudius kill his brother, the King Hamlet.  Once he commits the murder, he then is able
to seize the things that he envied of the brother -- most noteably the thone, and next
most important, his sister-in-law Gertrude whom he proceeds to convince to marry him
within a month of the King's death.  Claudius admidts in Act 3 that he did in fact kill
Hamlet and then questions how he could ever be forgiven, especially considering that he
is not willing to give up the things he gained from it, namely "my crown, my own
ambition, and my queen." He was jealous of his bother's life, and killed him in order to
take the "life" for himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...