Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Explain why the Texas vs. Johnson case was important at the time.Supreme Court Cases

In my opinion, this case was important at the time it was
decided (1989) because it helped to get what we now call the "culture wars"
started.


When I use the term "culture wars" I am referring
to the apparently deep splits between relatively liberal, urban, coastal America and
more traditional "heartland" America.  We now see these "wars" being played out over
issues like gay marriage, abortion and other, typically religious or patriotic,
issues.


At the time that the case was decided, these "wars"
were not really in full swing yet.  But this case helped get them going because it was
so clearly opposed to traditional values of patriotism.  It therefore angered many
people and helped to fuel the perception of a major gap in
values.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...