Thursday, January 19, 2012

What is a good discussion question for Shakespeare's Macbeth, Act I, Scenes i through iii?Thank You

Act One of a play should accomplish two important
things:


  • Introduce all the main characters and
    give the audience some idea of what kind of people they
    are.

  • Introduce the main problem or question of the play
    -- a question that the main character will grapple to solve or overcome throughout the
    play's events.

So, I would ask some questions
that relate to these two things.  Here are some
suggestions.


  1. Duncan is introduced in Act I,
    scene ii.  What sort of king does he appear to be?

  2. Why
    does the play open with the Weird Sisters on a
    battlefield?

  3. What do Macbeth and Banquo make of the
    prophecy that they hear in Act I, scene iii?  Are their reactions similar, different? 
    Explain.

  4. What is the problem that is presented Macbeth
    once he hears the Weird Sisters' prophecies for himself and
    Banquo?

  5. Why is Lady Macbeth, a central character in the
    play, not introduced until near the end of Act I?

  6. Why is
    Macduff, a central character in the play, not introduced until Act II, scene
    iii?

For more on the opening scenes of the
play, please follow the links below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...