Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Why does Prospero suddenly command the spirits he has summoned to vanish in The Tempest?

The brief answer to this is that Prospero needs to turn
his attention to the plot that Caliban has hatched against him.  He knows that Caliban
is plotting to kill him and he needs to take care of that problem.  As he says in the
play


I had forgot that foul conspiracy Of the
beast Caliban and his confederates Against my life. The minute of their plot Is almost
come.—Well done. Avoid, no more!

That last line is
spoken to the spirits, telling them that the play that they have been putting on was
nice, but now it is time for them to leave.


This confuses
Ferdinand and Miranda a bit because it seems somewhat abrupt--Prospero is enjoying this
light play and then suddenly he orders the spirits to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...