Wednesday, March 9, 2011

How was Phoenix Jackson's outlook on life influenced by her actions in "A Worn Path"?

This is a great question, and I have just answered the
same question for you based on "The Jilting of Granny Weatherall." You might like to
compare and contrast the two strong protagonists in that story and in "A Worn Path."
There are several similarities that are easily
identifiable.


I think one of the characteristics that we
associate with Phoenix Jackson is her complete stubborn resilience. She makes the walk
"regular as clockwork" as the nurse says, in spite of personal danger and the long
distance she needs to cover. She meets the obstacles that she faces in the story head on
and these hindrances reveal that she is polite, imaginative, humorous, optimistic,
courageous and sly. Consider how she responds to having a gun pointed at
her:



She
stood straight and faced him.


"Doesn't the gun scare you?"
he said, still pointing it.


"No, sir, I seen plenty go off
closer by, in my day, and for less than what I done," she said, holding utterly
still.



Her central action,
phoenix-like, in renewing her love for her grandson each time she makes her journey
along the "worn path," indicates her outlook on life, which is characterised by
impressive determination and stoicism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...