Monday, June 13, 2011

What details foreshadow the end of “The Lottery”?

To me there are a few details that stand out as elements
of foreshadowing after I have read the entirety of the
story.


First, the stones that the children were playing
with in the beginning seemed so simple and purposeless. By the time the resolution of
the story is complete, I know their purpose.


Second, the
fact that Tessie Hutchison is late always made me wonder until I get to the very end. Of
all the people, why is she late? I wonder, would it have had as great an impact if a
different person were late? Probably not.


Third, the
references of the old man who suggests that the lottery has to be done because it has
always been done makes me think evil. It makes me think of the things in our society we
do just to do them, not so much that they are right. This makes me wonder what the great
evil is going to be in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...