Friday, December 16, 2011

In A Doll's House, how much time has gone by from act 1 to act 2?

We are given no precise sense of how much time has passed
in this play in between Act One and Act Two, yet I think we can safely infer that
roughly a month has passed. In Act One, we are introduced to a Nora who has been buying
presents and decorations for Christmas, such as the tree, and who eagerly asks her maid
to hide the tree for her so that the children will not see it until it is decorated. In
Act Two, Nora begins by giving us a firm time marker:


readability="6">

There's someone coming! No, it's no one. of
course - no one'll come today. It's Christmas
Day.



So I think we can safely
say that the separation between the Acts is roughly a month as this is the normal time
between when the majority of people put up their Christmas decorations and celebrate
Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...