Thursday, December 29, 2011

What is the relationship of economic growth to the size of firm.

This is a matter of some contention in economics.  To my
knowledge, there is no clear answer.


One of the
better-known theories this field is that of Hernando De Soto.  He argues that corruption
in government favors big firms over small in the developing world.  He argues that large
firms are, therefore, associated with corrupt and stagnant
economies.


However, there are other scholars who have
attempted to confirm this relationship empirically and have come to disagree with it. 
One example of this is in the article I have linked to in the williams.edu link.  This
paper argues that there is no clear correlation between firm size and economic growth in
a country.


There is, as I have said, no consensus on this. 
The other link I have provided argues that larger firms contribute more to growth.  It
says that they are able to invest in research and development and can enjoy economies of
scale.  This allows them to be a cause of economic growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...