Thursday, December 8, 2011

Can you give me some help on an introduction to an essay in which I must discuss Steinbeck's presentation of Crooks?

An introduction should perform three
functions:


  • draw in the
    reader

  • transition to the
    thesis

  • use a thesis to explain the purpose of the paper.

If writing about Crooks, to hook the audience,
you might consider some of the racial injustices in the world. A good hook or lead (that
1st sentence or 2) might shock the reader with a statistic, tell an engaging story, or
relive a part of the text that most demonstrates racism, prejudice or injustice. Another
way to begin is to just sum up some of the relevant scenarios from the book: I teach my
students to T.A.G. that first sentence sometimes. Use the Title, Author and Genre to get
into what the book is about.


Use a middle part of your
intro to connect topically to your thesis.


I don't know
what you have chosen your body paragraphs to be about, but I often encourage students in
9th grade to write a thesis that contains these elements: topic + strong verb + BP1 +
BP2 + BP3. The order is not important, but this is a good simple styled
thesis.


Yours might look like this: "Steinbeck portrays
Crooks through  imagery, characterization, and dialogue in order to develop his
character."


Hope that helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...