Sunday, June 3, 2012

In The Hobbit, why is it necessary for Gandalf to leave the expedition?

I assume you are referring to Chapter 2 when the dwarves
suddenly notice that Gandalf is no longer with them before they get captured by the trolls.
Although at first we are told they are most put out by his unexpected absence - for he vanishes
without saying that he is leaving - it all works out for the best, as Gandalf is able to return
and to save them from the trolls who have captured them and are imminently about to eat roast
dwarf for dinner. When Gandalf has tricked the trolls into staying out in sunlight, he explains
why he left them:



"I
went on to spy out our road. It will soon become dangerous and difficult. Also I was anxious
about replenishing our small stoc of provisions. I had not gone very far, however, when I met a
couple of friends of mine from
Rivendell."



It is these elvish friends
from Rivendell that inform Gandalf about the two trolls, and he fears that the expedition might
have become "waylaid" by the trolls, so he hurries back to save them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...