Sunday, February 5, 2012

In the poem "The Voice You hear..." by Thomas Lux, what does cathedral mean?

I think that the poet uses this word to invoke the idea
that your mind is a place that is both quiet and in some way holy or above the physical
world.


A real cathedral is a place where you go to be quiet
and to escape from the reality of the every day world.  The services in a cathedral and
the meditation you can do take you to a higher plane of
existence.


I think that the poet is saying that a similar
thing happens when you read.  When you read, you can retreat into a cathedral where you
are taken away from the physical realities and problems of your everyday life.  You are
instead transported to a different plane of existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...