Thursday, September 6, 2012

In "The Voice," explain what mood and atmosophere is created and how it changes as the poem ends."The Voice" by Thomas Hardy

This poem is one of a sequence of poems that Hardy wrote
mourning the loss of his wife, Emma. In this poem, therefore, Hardy imagines that he hears Emma's
ghostly voice calling him, saying she is once again the young woman he courted. However, in a
despairing moment of grief and loneliness, he wonders whether it is simply the breeze he hears
and he is left alone to make his way forward. "The Voice" gives us a real insight into the way
that the speaker feels haunted by the memory of his wife, and we see an intense shift of emotion
as in the second stanza the speaker rejoices in his thoughts of his wife as she was when he did
court her:



Can it be
you that I hear? Let me view you, then,


Standing as when I drew near
to the town


Where you would wait for me: yes, as I knew you
then,


Even to the original air-blue
gown!



The thought of her in this
"gown" gives him one moment of illusory hope that he can somehow recapture these lost times and
relive them again in spite of her death. However, the last two stanzas of the poem shift the mood
to one of despair, loss and difficulty, as the speaker once again, having had a moment of hope,
settles back into his life of solitude and difficulty:


readability="12">

Thus I; faltering
forward,


Leaves around me
fallilng,


Wind oozing thin through the thorn from
norward,


And the woman
calling.



Note how the alliteration and
rhythm helps establish the mood of despair and almost enacts the "faltering" steps of the speaker
left to push his way on in a stumbling fashion, still haunted by the ghostly voice he feels he
can hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...