Saturday, November 24, 2012

In The Odyssey, what will Odysseus sacrifice by returning to Penelope?

Independence! Fun! Women! No, seriously, one gets the idea
as we read this true archetypal classic that Odysseus, although he spends time pining
over Penelope and Ithaca, is actually far happier wandering around and meeting various
challenges and being desired by various beautiful women. He has no responsibilities and
commitments and is able to wander as he wills, relying on his great reputation as a
warrior in the Trojan War to gain him respect, adulation and praise (especially from
women). I know that Homer didn't write the poem by Tennyson, "Odysseus," but I find that
poem a really interesting insight into his character. It presents us with an Odysseus
who is desperate to flee his responsibilities and start journeying again, and I think we
can definitely see this element about his character in The
Illiad
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...