Tuesday, November 13, 2012

What do you think the book title, Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry means?

The title of Mildred Taylor's teen novel, Roll of
Thunder, Hear My Cry
, comes from an old spiritual sung by slaves nearly a century
before. Mr. Morrison sings the song at the beginning of Chapter 11, a pivotal time of the novel
in which T.J. Avery is hunted down for the attack of the Barnetts at their Strawberry store.
Thunder is used as a metaphor throughout the novel (another purpose for the title), and Cassie's
emotional pleas for a semblance of respect and justice are echoed in the "Hear My Cry" portion of
the title. Thunder becomes even more important in the final chapters; in Chapter 11, the
"distant" and "approaching" thunder signals the onset of more trouble. In the final chapter, it
is thunder's accompanying force--lightning--that is presumed to have set the cotton fields afire,
and it serves as a powerful force of nature that unifies the men--black and white--at the
end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...