Thursday, May 8, 2014

For a debate, how can I argue that food choices don't affect climate change?We got assigned these topics and mine was: "Our food choices don't...

I think that you would have a hard time saying that food
choices have "no" effect on global climate change.  However, I think that you could make
a few arguments based on this prompt.


First, I would argue
that "where" is produced is not that important.  Instead, what is important is what kind
of foods people are eating.  Eating red meat, for example, is much worse in terms of
energy needed to produce it than eating vegetables.  So that would be evidence for the
idea that people don't need to care where their food comes from.  Follow the
epicurean.com link to see more on this idea.


The better
argument, I think, would be that food choices are just not important when compared to
all the other things that cause warming.  The climatechangechallenge.org link shows that
agriculture only accounts for about 7% of greenhouse gas emissions in the United
Kingdom, at least.  This implies that changing our food choices would have a really tiny
impact on global warming as an overall issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...