Thursday, November 18, 2010

In "Burning Bright" of Fahrenheit 451, to what vocation do the wilderness people devote themselves?

I am not sure I would call it a vocation, exactly.  At
least, it is not like these people are pursuing something as a job.  But if you are
using the term "vocation" in the sense that a priest or a nun is said to have a vocation
-- as a higher calling to do something, I guess it makes
sense.


Anyway, what these people are doing is wandering
around until (they hope) they get a chance to reform society.  They have each memorized
a book or a part of a book.  This is their vocation -- to keep that book "alive" until
they get the chance to share that book with their society after their society has
changed enough to allow that.


So I suppose their vocation
is memorizing books in an attempt to have the chance to renew and remake their society
some time in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...