Wednesday, November 17, 2010

In "I Know I'm Not Sufficently Obscure", what are the references to in Ray Durem's poem?


readability="4.3373493975904">

Top
Answer




src="http://d2hej51cni6o0x.cloudfront.net/images/user-profiles/180049069_48.jpg"
class="profilePic" alt="epollock's profile pic"/>
src="http://d2hej51cni6o0x.cloudfront.net/images/core/educator-indicator_thumb.png"
class="premium-indicator"/>





The references are
to a “lavender word,” a black soldier, and “an autumn leaf.” The first and third are
often indicative of peace, even though a “lavender” word suggests that the speaker might
be suggesting that traditional poets are effeminate. The “lavender word for lynch” thus
creates a jarring contrast between two traditions. At the end, the visual image of the
body in the tree indicates the speaker’s idea that poetry should lead to political
action. The specifics of political oppression may have changed since 1962, the year in
which “I Know I’m Not Sufficiently Obscure” was published, but social inequality and
bigotry persist. Thus, Durem’s speaker mentions “rebellion” twice, with the clear
implication that poets should become involved in the battle for social justice.












No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...