Tuesday, November 9, 2010

What is a good thesis statement for an essay about the play Antigone by Sophocles?

The following thesis statement once upon a time served me
well:


A major theme of Antigone is the conflict between
religious law and man-made law.


Antigone believes in the
supremacy of religious law and tradition.  Although King Creon has decreed that the
traitor Polyneices should not be buried, Antigone insists on following the religious law
requiring that females bury the deceased of their
family.


The poet Teiraisias warns
Creon:



You
have dishonored a living soul with exile in the tomb,/hurling a member of this world
below./You are detaining here, moreover/a dead body, unsanctified, and so unholy ,/a
subject of the
nethergods.



Creon, however,
insists that Antigone has commited "open rebellion," and that if he does not put her to
death he will betray his responsibility to his
subjects:


readability="10">

Since I caught her, alone of all entire(665)

people, in open rebellion, I will not
make myself a liar to the
city,
but kill her.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...