Sunday, November 28, 2010

In "A Hunger Artist," suggest reasons why Kafka selected an expert in fasting and not a priest or a singer as the central figure in the story.

Franz Kafka's "A Hunger Artist" is a metaphor for the
yearning and alienation we all experience, to some extent.  A priest or a singer or a
painter or a sculptor or an author might just as easily have worked for the theme;
however, those professions would probably not have carried the metaphor as well as does
a hunger artist.  He is both something rare (an artist) and something familiar (one who
does and then doesn't eat).  He is like the rest of us yet separated from us.  The
metaphor is complete when, as he is dying, the Hunger Artist explains his consistent
dissatisfaction and alienation from life:


readability="9">

I have to fast, I can’t help it...because I
couldn’t find the food I liked. If I had found it, believe me, I should have made no
fuss and stuffed myself like you or anyone
else.



I just don't see how
that works with a priest or a singer--who might not find a song he likes but can then
make up his own song--because food is something the human body needs for sustenance.  By
cutting himself off from the life-giving substance, the Hunger Artist lives in
alienation, yearning, and dissatisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...