Sunday, May 8, 2011

Could someone please post four of Bottom's personality traits in A Midsummer Night's Dream? I would like some detail and quotes from the play....

You are limited to one question, and what you listed in
your request seemed to be asking about both Puck and Bottom.  I will assist you with
information about the personality of Bottom, but you must list another question for
information about Puck.


The first trait that Bottom has, as
a character in A Midsummer Night's Dream, is one he shares with his
fellow "rude mechanicals" (a term to describe the group of workers of which Bottom is a
part, coined by Puck).  They are considered the clowns of
the play.  In Shakespeare's day, clown was a term used to describe the actors who were
relied on for comedy and comic bits.  They were usually good at physical comedy
(slapstick, pratfalls) and would often ad lib, or make up lines, to get laughs from the
audience.  Bottom is definitely a character who is meant to make the audience
laugh.


Probably the most famous trait of Bottom's is his
know-it-all attitude about acting.  The whole of Act I,
scene ii is pretty much a show of Bottom acting out every part and asking to play that
part too.  He says:


readability="6">

. . .let me play Thisbe too!  I'll speak in a
monstrous little voice.. . . . Let me play the lion too.  I will roar that I will do any
man's heart good to hear me.. . .
.



Bottom is also somewhat
bossy.  He, rather, than the director and organizer of the
play Quince, tells everyone what to do at the end of the scene to get ready for their
next rehearsal:


readability="7">

We will meet, and there we may rehearse most
obscenely and courageously.  Take pains.  Be perfect.  Adieu. . . . Enough.  Hold or cut
bowstrings.



And finally, once
Titania "falls in love" with him.  He certainly acts very modest and shy, which seems to
indicate that he is not experienced in the ways of love. In
Act III, scene i, when Titania surprises him and says, "I love thee,"  Bottom
answers:


readability="9">

Methinks, mistress, you should have little reason
for
that.


Titania


Thou
art as wise as thou art
beautiful.


Bottom


Not
so, neither.



So, the guy that
has all the answers when it comes to acting and producing a play, is turned into a
modest and shy lover when confronted with the bold moves of
Titania.


For more on Bottom, please follow the links
below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...