Monday, September 19, 2011

How does All My Sons present the relationship between men and women (main theme of the play)?

In All My Sons, the relationship
between Joe and Kate Keller is one based on lies, unquestioned support, blind faith. 
Kate has known all along about Joe's dishonesty, and even though she has witnessed the
horrible injustices that have resulted from Joe's actions, she has kept his secret for
many years.  She has tried to have faith that her husband has made the right decision,
and Joe has expected her as his wife to keep his confidence.  Likewise, Kate is the only
person who truly believes that Larry will some day come home, and although Chris and Joe
are ready to accept the likelihood that Larry is dead, they maintain the facade of
belief to spare Kate's feelings.  So the relationship between the two is one based on
insincerity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...