Friday, September 2, 2011

What quotes show betrayal in Of Mice and Men?I have an essay about betrayal and we have to use Of Mice and Men, but I need help finding quotes of...

Betrayal as a theme starts early in the novel. In Chapter
1 the two men are conned into walking miles to the ranch by the lazy bus
driver-



Kicks
us out and says, ‘Jes’ a little stretch down the road.’ I bet it was
more than four miles. Damn hot
day.



George clarifies the
last time he betrayed Lennie in Chapter 3:


readability="8">

One day a bunch of guys was standin’ around up on
the Sacramento River. I was feelin’ pretty smart. I turns to Lennie and says ‘Jump in.’
An’ he jumps. Couldn’t swim a stroke. He damn near drowned before we could get him. An’
he was so damn nice to me for pullin’ him out. Clean forgot I told him to jump
in.



Curley’s wife was also
betrayed, either by the man in the dance hall, or her overzealous
mother:



 …he
was in pitchers. Went to the Riverside Dance Palace with him. Says he was gonna put me
in the movies. Says I was a
natural.



Curley’s wife never
received a latter from Hollywood, and married Curley, who she met at the same dance
hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...