Friday, June 21, 2013

Should voters take a more active role in the political process?

I assume that when you say "voters" you mean people in
general who are not public officials.  I assume you are asking if people ought to do
more than just vote.  I would say that they should if it is at all
possible.


The reason for this is that voting is a very
"blunt instrument" for telling government what you want.  If you voted for Pres. Obama
in 2008, what did it mean?  Did it mean you hated Sen. McCain?  That you wanted to
punish the Republicans for Pres. Bush?  That you agreed with what Obama said?  If so,
which thing?  We can't know any of this stuff.  By participating more actively, a voter
can clarify the meaning of their vote.


So I would say that
voters should get involved.  They should join interest groups to lobby for their
interests.  They should contact their representatives to air their views on important
issues.  They should write letters to the editors of newspapers.  By doing these things,
they can let people know what they really think -- something that just voting does not
achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...