Monday, June 10, 2013

What are some arguments regarding the creature (from Mary Shelley's Frankenstein) being responsible for the murders?

The creature, in Mary Shelley's
Frankenstein, could be seen as both a victim and an aggressor. Essentially,
the denotation as either is up to the individual reader and their engagement and understanding of
the creature.


On one side, the monster is outright responsible for
the murders of William, Clerval and Elizabeth. As a result of the murders, one could state that
the creature is also responsible for the deaths of Justine and Victor's father--given they were
all the consequences of the initial murders.


On the other side, one
could say that the creature was not responsible for the murders. He did not plan on murdering
William. Instead, he recognized William's innocence and wished to educate the boy. The creature
used the murder of Victor's loved ones as revenge.


readability="8">

I could seize him, and educate him as my companion and
friend, I should not be so desolate in this peopled
earth.



Once the creature found out
that William was a Frankenstein, rage overtook him. He, essentially, could not control his rage
with Victor, and William payed the price with his life. It was not until after William's death
that the creature realized the power he possessed.


readability="8">

I exclaimed, ‘I too can create desolation; my enemy is not
invulnerable; this death will carry despair to him, and a thousand other miseries shall torment
and destroy him.'



One could readily
argue that the creature's murder of William was not planned and, therefore, the creature was not
necessarily responsible.


Ultimately, one could look to the
creature's words alone to define his responsibility for
murders.



I left the
spot where I had committed the
murder.



Here, the creature readily
admits to committing the murder, with no feelings of guilt attached. Therefore, if based upon the
creature's actions following the murder of William, one could justify that the creature is
completely responsible for the murder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...