Tuesday, July 16, 2013

What evidence shows that Jem understood the situation at the jail while Scout did not?It's a hard book and I could use the answer pretty quick....

There are two evidences that Jem understood what was going
on much better than Scout. At first, when they are just spying on Atticus, Jem
understands there is a reason the kids shouldn't go out there and spend time with
Atticus right now. It's like Jem can read the situation and knows children aren't
welcome:



I
broke away from Jem and ran as fast as I could to Atticus. Jem shrieked and tried to
catch me, but I had a lead on him and
Dill.



After they had been
there awhile with the men, Jem had read even more about the situation and knew that if
he and the kids left, bad things could happen. So when Atticus blatantly tells the kids
to leave, Jem refuses:


readability="12">

“Go home, Jem,” he said. “Take Scout and Dill
home.”


We were accustomed to prompt, if not always cheerful
acquiescence to Atticus’s instructions, but from the way he stood Jem was not thinking
of budging.


“Go home, I
said.”


Jem shook his
head.



Jem certainly read more
into the situation than Scout because of his age.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...