Thursday, August 7, 2014

What is the significance of ironing in life?i need to answer this part in my essay from the story I Stand Here Ironing by Tillie Olsen

Ironing was no easy task at the time that this story is set. In
fact, ironing has been one of the most enslaving, demanding, and dangerous jobs throughout the
history of home economics. All you need to do is do a search on "the history of ironing" online
and you will see how the tool itself has been modified hundreds of time for that same
reason.


Moreover, the main character is "standing there ironing"
setting the record straight and explaining a situation the same way that she is setting the
clothes she is ironing straight.  It is basically a symbol of being at the bottom of the totem
pole: You are there ironing, slaving over something, sacrificing
yourself.


That is the basic premise of it
all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...