Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Help me paraphase the poem "Redemption" by George Herbert.

Paraphrasing serves two purposes. The first purpose may be
to summarize a text or poem for discussion or for studying the meaning, underlying
metaphor and theme, etc. The second is to aid in understanding the text or
poem.


Since poems are compressed expressions of thought
using non-literal and suggestive language, a line-by-line paraphrase in ordinary
language can help break through the difficulty of compressed, suggestive language and
help clarify your understanding. Since paraphrasing a poem changes figurative language
to literal language, poetic paraphrases are almost always more wordy and longer than the
original work. I've provided one possible line-by-line paraphrase of the ironic poem,
"Redemption," by George Herbert.


I was for a long time a
farming tenant of a rich Lord;
I was not successful, so I decided to be
brave
and beg that he grant me 
a new smaller lease contract and
cancel the old one.
In good faith, I went to speak with him at his mansion.

There they told me that he had recently gone
on business about some
land he had purchased
at an earlier date and was ready to take possession
of.
I immediately turned around, and knowing his high social
position,
logically looked for him in expensive resorts,
in cities,
at theaters, in gardens and parks, and at royal courts
Eventually I heard a
loud raucous noise and loud laughter
made by thieves and murderers; it was
there that I finally found him.
Having been found, he immediately said, "Your
request is granted," then died.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...