Sunday, August 31, 2014

Regarding the concept of "the prodigal son," how is it a parable for the idea of forgiveness?

I would add that the parable adds another dimension to the
traditional idea of forgiveness.  Here's the part that I find
interesting:



readability="8">

"But while he was still a long way
off,
his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his
son, threw his arms around him and kissed
him.




It seems that
his father was actually LOOKING for him because he was a LONG way off when his father
saw him.  He did not just see him as he walked into the house, or stepped on to the
property, but when he was a long way off.  In my reading, this indicates that he forgave
him BEFORE he saw him.  This is in keeping with the (frightful) injunction of the "Our
Father" --- Forgive us our trespassers as [and only as] we forgive those who trespass
against us."  We actually ask to be forgiven as, and only as, we have forgiven those who
have trespassed against us.



Given that standard,
the father surely will be forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...