Tuesday, August 26, 2014

In To Kill a Mockingbird, what is an indirect quote that helps describe how Scout thinks?

When I saw your question, a very specific passage came to me.
When Scout figure's out that she's literate, we readers see an incredible thought process in the
words on page 18, chapter 2 in my book. It reads:


readability="11">

"I mumbled that I was sorry and retired meditating upon
my crime. I never deliberately learned how to read, but somehow I had been wallowing illicitly in
the daily papers. In the long hours of church - was it then I learned? ... Now that I was
compelled to think about it, reading was something that just came to me ... Until I feared I
would lose it, I never loved to
read."



This shows an incredibly naive
but intelligent little girl. As with so many other things in her life, Scout has so little
awareness that she is on the right track. She sometimes just goes about the wrong way on it.
Learning naturally happens for Scout when she thinks. She doesn't even realize it is going on.
This occurs for her at Cal's church as she is exposed to a new culture, it occurs as she learns
about her father from Miss Maudie, and in this situation with learning to read, she had no idea
it happened. True to her character though, she is passionate about reading as she is
justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...