Saturday, June 6, 2015

What are two possible themes for the play Othello?Where can I find the details that support these themes?

Two of the most common themes associated with
Othello are jealousy/revenge and appearance versus reality (or
"seeming").  Both of these are common themes in Shakespeare's plays, ones that you will
see re-investigated over and over.


Jealousy appears in Act
I, scene i when Iago is talking about being passed over for promotion.  Othello has
promoted Cassio instead of Iago.  Iago says:


readability="19">

I know my price, I am worth no worse a
place.


But he, as loving his own pride and
purposes,


Evades them. . .for "Certes," says
he,


"I have already chosen my
officer,"


And what was he?. .
.


One Michael Cassio. . .mere prattle without
practice


Is all his
soldiership.



So, Iago shows
his reason for jealousy towards Cassio, and goes on to explain his revenge against
Othello.


Othello also displays his jealousy and thirst for
revenge.  Iago has led him into believing that Cassio is having an affair with his wife,
Desdemona.  In Act IV, scene i, once Othello thinks he has the proof, his thoughts turn
to murder as his revenge:


readability="5">

I will chop her into messes. . .Cuckold
me!


Iago


O,
tis foul in
her.


Othello


With
mine
officer!


Iago


That's
fouler.



And so, Othello's
jealousy overtakes everything else and leads him to kill the thing he loves
best.


The theme of appearance versus reality is actually
shown in both of these same characters.  Iago decides to hide how he really feels about
being passed over, appearing to loyally follow the man (Othello) that he hates.  Back
again in Act I, scene i, he says:


readability="18">

In following him, I follow but
myself.


Heaven is my judge, not I for love and
duty,


But seeming so, for my particular end. . .
.


But I will wear my heart upon my
sleeve,


For doves to peck at:  I am not what I
am.



And so he continues
throughout the play, sharing his inward thoughts and schemes with the audience, while
playing the dutiful ancient with Othello.


Othello is caught
up in the dilemma of appearance versus reality as well.  He swallows, hook, line and
sinker, all of the suggestions and false "evidence" that Iago presents him that
Desdemona is unfaithful.  The events of Acts III and IV surrounding the handkerchief are
the ones that, in reality, are the most false, but appear to be the most
damning.


These are merely a few of the examples of the
themes of jealousy/revenge and appearance versus reality in the play
Othello.  For more on these and other themes, please follow the
links below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...