Thursday, June 18, 2015

What is a good introduction ( c/c essay) for topic, "The education of present generation vs the education at my grandmother’s generation"?

Let's talk about two common strategies people use for
introductions. First is the funnel approach and second in the anecdotal approach. 
Either could be used for a topic like yours.


The funnel is
a metaphor for beginning with a broad idea and narrowing down to your thesis statement,
just like a funnel is wide at the top and narrow at the bottom.  So, for example, if I
were writing a paper on jazz, I might begin with a general statement like
this:


There have been many forms of popular American
music.


Now the reader has a general idea what the paper is
about, but does not know yet what the specific idea is for the paper.  But as the reader
goes on, I will narrow things down, and I will end the paragraph with my thesis
statement.


The anecdotal approach means opening with a
little scene or story.  In the case of your topic, this might be creating a scene in
your grandmother's school room and another scene that is more contemporary.  This can be
a good way to get the reader's attention and gain
interest.


I have provided a link that has a few other
strategies that are commonly used for introductions.  Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...