Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Why wasn't Dill able to come to Maycomb that summer?

To Scout, Dill meant summertime. She looked forward to him
being there to play with, and to be her fiancee'. On page 117, Scout narrates to the
reading audience:


readability="14">

I received a letter and a snapshot from him. The
letter said he had a new father whose picture was enclosed, and he would have to stay in
Meridian because they planned to build a fishing boat. His father was a lawyer like
Atticus, only much younger. Dill’s new father had a pleasant face, which made me glad
Dill had captured him, but I was crushed. Dill concluded by saying he would love me
forever and not to worry, he would come get me and marry me as soon as he got enough
money together, so please
write.



Remember, Scout is a
narrator that is very young and Dill is a kid that lies. These contents of his letter
make Scout feel like there are reasons that he isn't coming. From what we as readers
know about him, we can see that he moves from relative to relative, so we can't always
believe what we hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...