Saturday, March 5, 2016

In "The Tell-Tale Heart", why did Edgar Allan Poe name the story with this title?

Well, this is a good question to think through. Firstly,
the original title uses alliteration with the repetition of the two "t"s in the
"Tell-Tale". However, more importantly than this, I think Poe chose to name this story
"The Tell-Tale Heart" because it is the heart of the man who was killed that forces the
murderer to expose himself. To me, the last paragraph is key, as it appears as if the
narrator has gotten away with it without any problems - the police seemed convinced that
he had nothing to do with it. However, the narrator feels that he hears the heart
beating again where he has stowed the body. This has an incredible effect on
him:



Oh God!
what could I do? I foamed - I raved - I swore! I swung the chair upon which I had been
sitting, and grated it upon the boards, but the noise arose over all and continually
increased. It grew louder - louder -
louder!



It is this continual
and ever-louder volume of the heart that literally forces the narrator to tell his tale
and confess his guilt to the policemen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...