Sunday, March 6, 2016

In "The Case for the Defence," explain "domes of silence muting the court".

I think that what Greene is referring to here is the
impact that mistakes would have on the prestige and honor of the court
system.


The phrase that you mention is given right at the
start of the story.  We are told that the jury is afraid of making mistakes because
mistakes are like "domes of silence muting the court."  Clearly, this is said
metaphorically.


I think what this means is that the court
loses its influence or trust with the people when it makes mistakes.  If this happens,
it is like the court is being silenced.  It is no longer telling the people "don't
worry, we are here to do justice."  That message is muted when a mistake is
made.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...