Thursday, October 18, 2012

What is the flashback and foreshadowing of the short story "The Araby"?I need a brief answer in less than 3 sentences. thanks much

Holy cow: 3 sentences!  This story is worth much more
because of its intensity of emotion and its final
disappointment.


However:


I
think the flashback occurs when the narrator returns to the room where the priest had
died, and the narrator retreats into himself.


There are
several examples of foreshadowing; you'll have to take your
pick.


Early in the story the narrator
says


readability="6">

[Mangand's sister's] dress swung as she moved her
body and the soft rope of her hair tossed from side to
side.



This is such a strong
hint of the narrator's infatuation that it made me sit up and take notice.  I could
imagine how the story was going to proceed.


Earlier in the
same paragraph the narrator says


readability="5">

If my uncle was seen turning the corner we hid in
the shadow . . .



Already we
suspect the uncle is going to be the narrator's
obstacle.


The narrator's infatuation grows rapidly, and
Joyce paints it vividly.  I think a better topic for studying this story would be to
examine Joyce's imagery.


Foreshadowing again: on Saturday
morning the narrator reminds his uncle of the fair, the the uncle
replies



"Yes, boy, I
know."



So we are not
surprised when the uncle returns almost too late in the evening for the fair to still be
open.


I suppose that's plenty for three sentences.  I'm
afraid you'll have to trim it a bit.  This story deserves much more
attention.


The reference gives the text of the
story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...