Friday, October 17, 2014

In Brave New World, why does John refuse to attend the party for the Archbishop?

We are given the answer to this question at the beginning of
Chapter 12, when Bernard is trying desperately to continue exploiting the savage to boost his own
credentials in his society. Note the selected audience that has been invited to this "party" that
is indicated in the rest of the chapter. However, what is clear is that John is fed up of the way
that Bernard is using him, and he dislikes the way that he has been dragged around without any
consultation or permission requested. Consider what the dialogue between John and Bernard reveals
about his reasons for not appearing at the party:


readability="12">

"I asked them on purpose to meet
you."


"You ought to have asked me first whether I wanted to meet
them"


"But you always came before,
John."


"That's precisely why I don't want to come
again."



Here we clearly see that
Bernard has exhausted John's patience and now John wants more control of his life and does not
want to be carted around like an exhibition any more to be gawped at by strangers who treat him
as a curiosity rather than a human.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...