Wednesday, April 29, 2015

In Of Mice and Men, what are two quotes by Lennie when he is showing childlikeness?(and pages too)

Here is a section the 4th page into my
book:



George
looked at him sharply, "What'd you take outta that
pocket?"


"Ain't a thing in my pocket," Lennie said
cleverly.


"I know there ain't. You got it in your hand.
What you got in your hand - hidin' it?"


"I ain't got
nothin', George. Honest."



The
text goes on to declare that Lennie indeed has something in his hand. It is a mouse and
he just lied to George about it. This demonstrates childlikeness in that a child will
lie to save himself from sure punishment. This also demonstrates childlikeness because
Lennie tried to be "clever" and George, the parent in this situation, saw right through
it.


Later on the next page, George is testing Lennie about
how they are going to act when they go and talk to the boss. After consenting to say
nothing, George encourages Lennie like he would a
son:



Good boy.
That's swell. You say that over two, three times so you sure won't forget
it.



This is how children are.
They need repetition and praise. George knows how to handle Lennie. He knows Lennie
needs each of these for success and Lennie eats it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...