Tuesday, August 4, 2015

What was Douglass’s 1835 resolution in Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass?

I think that the answer you are looking for is that Douglass
decided that he was going to try (sometime in the year 1835) to run away from his master and
become a free man living somewhere in the North.  He was tired of being kept as a slave and
desperately wanted to be free.


He was, at the time that he made this
resolution, about 16 years old.  He felt that he was becoming a man.  He felt that a man ought
not to be enslaed and that, therefore, he sould try to become free.  Here is a quote showing that
this is what he resolved as 1835 began:


I therefore
resolved that 1835 should not pass without witnessing an
attempt, on my part, to secure
my liberty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...