Wednesday, October 14, 2015

In The Miracle Worker, what flaw has Annie found in Dr. Howe's methods?

What an insightful question!  You have found (at least
partially) the key to Annie's own method!  Oh my, you have to read between the lines to find it,
though.  Quite honestly, I have always overlooked that part of the play until I read your
question.  I think the audience gets caught up in the fact that Kate is losing all hope and
forgets to listen to the important tidbit that Annie imparts here.  Let's look at
it:



Dr. Howe did
wonders, but--an ordinary child?  No, never.  But then I thought when I was going over his
reports--(She indicates the one in her hand)--he never treated them like
ordinary children.  More like--eggs everyone was afraid would
break.



In simple terms, Dr. Howe's
flaw according to Annie was that he never treated his patients like "ordinary children."  He took
too much care with them, as we might cradle an egg. This is what keeps them from reaching their
true potential.  They aren't eggs, they're children.  They don't need to be coddled and pittied
like Helen is being coddled and pittied at home, ... teachers and doctors
need to have higher expectations that Helen would be expected to reach.  In this way, her true
potential would be met.  (Not to mention Helen would be punished, sometimes in some creative
ways, just like "ordinary children" are.)  Thank God for Annie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...