Friday, November 27, 2015

A. Explain which position makes the most sense to you and why: - Kant's 'Categorical Imperative' (Deontology)

I am not really clear on what you are asking here -- what two
positions you wish us to choose between.  It looks like you might be asking us to compare between
Kant's categorical imperative and deontology.  The problem is that the categorical imperative is
an example of deontology and so we cannot really compare the
two.


Deontology is a school of philosophy that judges our actions
based on whether they conform to certain rules of morality.  This is as opposed to
consequentalist ideas that judge morality based on the impacts of the
actions.


Kant's categorical imperative is clearly deontological.  It
sets out a formula for determining morality (whether we could will that our action be the basis
for a universal law) and judges our actions according to that
formula.


As far as which position makes most sense to me, I have
always thought that the categorical imperative was the best statement of how to judge the
morality of an action.  But I do not know which other position you wish to compare to
it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...