Friday, November 13, 2015

In Romeo and Juliet, what are some character traits of Lady Capulet and Capulet in Acts 4 and 5? Please provide textual evidence.

In my opinion, throughout Act IV and V, the Capulets
corporately experience the gamut of emotions. Since their daughter is now appearing to
be cooperating with them at the beginning of the fourth Act, they are
pleased.


readability="14">

Why, I am glad on't; this is well: stand
up:
This is as't should be. Let me see the county;
Ay, marry, go, I
say, and fetch him hither.
Now, afore God! this reverend holy
friar,
Our whole city is much bound to
him.



Capulet is so pleased
that he agrees to arrange the wedding and act as the "housewife" for the event. He plans
to see to it that everything gets done. This gesture demonstrates either
control or genuine kindness to
his wife, or maybe both.


Lady Capulet turns very
helpful to Juliet as demonstrated in this
quote:



What,
are you busy, ho? need you my
help?



Then when Juliet fakes
her death, they both seem sincerely grieved as they
mourn her death. Lady Capulet
says:


readability="14">

Accursed, unhappy, wretched, hateful
day!
Most miserable hour that e'er time saw
In lasting labour of his
pilgrimage!
But one, poor one, one poor and loving child,
But one
thing to rejoice and solace in,
And cruel death hath catch'd it from my
sight!



Capulet responds
similarly:


readability="14">

Despised, distressed, hated, martyr'd,
kill'd!
Uncomfortable time, why camest thou now
To murder, murder
our solemnity?
O child! O child! my soul, and not my child!
Dead art
thou! Alack! my child is dead;
And with my child my joys are
buried.



Although their
mourning may be sincere, this also shows great selfishness
on both their parts. They speak of Juliet as an object that death has taken and they
consider how it affects each of them, not why she died.


The only other time we see them in Act V positions both of
them to feel great remorse for what has happened... again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...