Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Describe the basic conflict between those who base ethics on reason and those who base ethics on feelings and affections.no

I see the basic conflict as
thus:


If you base your ethics on reason, then you don't
leave any room for exceptions. You have reasoned it out, so to speak, that what is wrong
is wrong under any circumstances. There are no exceptions or you would have rather
shakey ethics.


When you base your ethics on emotions,
feelings or affections, you are bound to constantly "adjust" you ethics based on how 
you are feeling at the moment.


You can see this in the
topic of abortion: Suppose I say that abortion is wrong...but wait, my friend needs an
abortion, so that's ok because she is my friend, and I like her. So it had to be
done.


Stealing is wrong, and stealers should be punished.
Wait..my child just got caught stealing. Ok. I'll (the parent) will pay the price,
because the punishment will be too hard on my child. This could go on
forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...