Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Are we meant to find the incident of the whiskey and the pigs amusing in Animal Farm?

This incident is found towards the end of Chapter
8.


I would have to say that we are meant to find this
amusing just based on the way that Orwell talks about the pigs and how they act.  If he
didn't want it to be funny, he would not have needed to put in all the
details.


When I mention details, I am talking about things
like:


  • How Napoleon comes out wearing the hat and
    runs around the farmyard.

  • How Squealer has "dull" eyes
    and how his tail is hanging limply.

  • How Squealer
    announces that Napoleon is ill and about to
    die.

To me, a lot of these details could be
left out if Orwell didn't want to make it funny.  He could just have had the pigs get
drunk and change the Commandment and it still would have showed that they are changing
and becoming more like people.  It would have had the same message without being
funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...