Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Can you pick out important quotes from The Count of Monte Cristo and explain why they are important?

Well, I have a few of my own favorites. One is when Abbe
Faria and Edmond are digging and Edmond tells the
Abbe:



"I don't
believe in God,"



and Faria
replies,



"It
doesn't matter, he believes in
you."



We see by the end of
the novel that God has been with Edmond and the biggest lesson he learns after trying to
avenge himself against everyone is that vengeance belongs to God. All it does to man is
destroy him. Edmund, thankfully, learns this
lesson.


Another one I like is when Abbe Faria asks Edmond
for help digging. He tells him he will offer Edmund something in return. Edmund
asks,



"My
freedom?"



and the Abbe
says,



"No,
freedom can be taken away, as you well know. I offer you my
knowledge."



He then proceeds
to teach Edmund everything he knows, transforming Edmund from an uneducated sailor into
a highly educated man that speaks many languages, can read and write like a poet,
etc.


Finally, there is this one, at the end of the
novel:



“Until
the day when God will deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is contained
in these two words,—‘Wait and
hope.’”



This summarizes the
lesson that Edmund Dantes learns - that man should let God take care of vengeance, and
that man's job is to wait and never give up hope.


An
awesome novel, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...