Friday, May 29, 2015

I have a book by Shirley Jackson inscribed "For Ann and Bern with warmest affection. Shirley, September 1962." Please help me identify the recipients.

WOW! I do believe that the book you possess may be a piece of
true literary history. Shirley Jackson (1916-1965) lived most of her life in New England with her
husband, the literary critic Stanley Hyman (1919-1970). They had many friends in the literary
field and knew many other contemporary writers of the time. It is known that she often
corresponded with Bernard Malamud (1914-1986), the Brooklyn-born
writer and winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Literature in 1967 (for The
Fixer
). Malamud's nickname was "Bern" and his wife was Ann De Chiara Malamud
(1917-2007). Almost certainly your book was presented by Jackson to either Malamud himself and/or
his wife, Ann, making it a wonderful piece of literary nostalgia that was once owned and handled
by not one but two great American writers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Anne's goal of wanting "to go on living even after my death" fulfilled in Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl?I didn't get how it was...

I think you are right! I don't believe that many of the Jews who were herded into the concentration camps actually understood the eno...